DirtyH

Nichole - Dirty H if you're nasty

I like to read about boys who like other boys. I don't like angst. I don't like high fructose corn syrup.

Brainy and the Beast
J.M. Cartwright
Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn Second book in a row I'm finding impossible to rate.

I can't decide if I liked this book, or if I just liked what the book was trying to be. I just really don't know what to think.

A few random thoughts:

1. This book suffered from what I have dubbed "The Happening Syndrome", wherein you hear/read so many people talk about the Big Twist You'll Never See Coming, that you then are looking for it and of course since you're expecting it, you do see it coming. Not sure if that makes you so much smarter than everyone else, or just overly warned.

2. I really liked that this wasn't just a paint by number mystery, but it also included a lot of interesting commentary about gender dynamics and also the inner workings of marriage. It had a lot to say, which I appreciated.

3. I both loved and hated the ending. The part of me that likes things tied up in a nice bow was not satisfied and said "What? Seriously?" The part of me that likes to be challenged, that likes a book to require me to do some independent thinking and figure some things out for myself thought it was perfect.

I'm still letting this stew around in my brain. But I think ultimately, I admire what Gillian Flynn has done with this book, and I flew through this book with a desperate need to find out what was going to happen. But I don't know if I actually liked it. I love the idea of these horrible, vile characters dragging each other down in this big old train wreck of a book. But did I enjoy it? Still not sure.