DirtyH

Nichole - Dirty H if you're nasty

I like to read about boys who like other boys. I don't like angst. I don't like high fructose corn syrup.

Brainy and the Beast
J.M. Cartwright
Dark Horse  - Kate Sherwood This was a really good book; the first half especially was emotionally harrowing - in a great way of course.
I have a few complaints:
1. I was drawn to this book because of the m/m/m aspect. I find myself very fascinated by that dynamic and am always on the lookout for good m/m/m books. This was definitely a good book, but the three players in this relationship didn't get together until the very end. Most of this book was about Dan and his struggles. Again - great story, but I didn't get what I thought/hoped I was getting so that was a little disappointing.
2. "Okay, yeah..." - all of these characters talked like teenagers. I'm ok with one character having distinctive/unusual speech patterns, but when every character sounds the same, then that's not the character anymore, it's the author and it gets distracting. If Evan is going to sound like that, then Dan and Jeff and Chris can't all sound like that too. I'm a ways into the sequel and this is still bugging me.
3. This book was really long - too long, in fact. The first half was really great but the second half dragged on, mostly because of irrelevant detail, I think. I do not need to know what every character is having for breakfast each day, what color of underwear Dan chooses to wear in the morning, that they stopped for lunch at McDonalds on the way to their competition, et cetera, et cetera. I had to do a lot of skimming to get to the good stuff at the end.

Bottom line: First half is heart-wrenching goodness. Have a hanky on hand. Second half is tedious and bogged down in detail. Moderate to heavy skimming necessary in order to make it to the good stuff.