DirtyH

Nichole - Dirty H if you're nasty

I like to read about boys who like other boys. I don't like angst. I don't like high fructose corn syrup.

Brainy and the Beast
J.M. Cartwright
The Given & The Taken (Tooth and Claw, #1) - L.A. Witt I struggled to choose between 4 and 5 stars for this, but I figured if there was even a question then I should go with 4. But I really really really liked this book.

I typically do not like paranormal m/m. Vampires and werewolves - like 'em in het romance or urban fantasy, but in m/m they always seem cheesy for some reason. I don't know if it makes sense but it's just how I am, I guess. Add that to how convoluted the blurb for this was, and under normal circumstances I would have said "Nope, not for me" and never picked this book up.

But I am an L.A. Witt fangirl and she is an auto-buy for me, so I went ahead and read it anyway. And boy am I glad I did.

The plot was great - fresh and original with lots of action, unpredictable without being so off the wall that you rolled your eyes or had a hard time following. The pacing was perfect. Each chapter was from the first person POV of each of the three main characters, it just rotated through them. This could have been a disaster, I can't imagine how much work L.A. had to put in to keep it balanced, but it worked out so perfectly. Each scene was told from exactly the right person's POV - especially near the end, where Levi and Ian's reunion was actually told from Darius' POV. I loved that.

And the romance. It wasn't one of those where my heart skipped a beat and I fell in love along with them or anything like that, and that's probably why I didn't give 5 stars, but of all the m/m/m I've ever read I think this did the best job of illustrating the connection between all three men. Usually in m/m/m, there's at least one side of the triangle that's weaker than the others but not in this one. We were given adequate time/scenes to see each of them fall in love individually and it made sense. You didn't necessarily feel like anyone was intruding on anyone else's relationship. Even though we have yet to see Darius and Levi say the L word to each other, you can see that it's coming and it makes sense. It doesn't feel like something that got thrown in randomly just to make it an m/m/m. You can see why they're falling for each other. It works.

The only complaint I have is that I had stuff I needed to get done today but I just couldn't put this sucker down. So yeah, I'll be eagerly awaiting the next book.