DirtyH

Nichole - Dirty H if you're nasty

I like to read about boys who like other boys. I don't like angst. I don't like high fructose corn syrup.

Brainy and the Beast
J.M. Cartwright
Night Pleasures - Sherrilyn Kenyon 3.5 stars

This book was... a paranormal romance. I don't know what else to say about it. It was adequate. I didn't get bored, I got through it quickly, the characters were fine, the story was fine...
I hesitate to say it was bland, but... maybe it was a little bland? It was a perfectly acceptable book, it just didn't light any fires for me. I was expecting more, since so many people seem to think this series is like manna from heaven.

What was good:
*The integration of Greek mythology is really fun and interesting. It's obvious that Kenyon has really done her research, and the way she's woven it into her own creative world is great.
*The story of Kyrian's past is riveting. So far I think this is what Kenyon does best; Julian's past was definitely the best part of Fantasy Lover as well. The most interesting parts of the book were learning about his betrayal.

What was bad:
Aside from just being overall a bit lackluster, there were two things that outright bugged me.
*The sexual attraction between the two main characters was waaaay over the top. I felt like I was being beat over the head with it, especially in the first 50 pages or so. The whole "He'd never wanted anyone the way he wanted her, he'd never been so attracted to anyone, he hadn't had sex in 2,000 years and never had it bothered him until now" thing got really nauseating. Yeah, I get it. Not everything has to be so hyperbolic, you know?
*On page 10, Kenyon takes a little time out for some shameless self-promotion. Gag me. She actually had her main character reading a Kinley MacGregor novel. Boo.

Oh, and I guess a couple other things: There were quite a few things in this book that were obviously meant to be funny but just... weren't really. Maybe I've been spoiled by Kresley Cole, but I find Kenyon's humor to be rather blah. And the epilogue... yuck. It read more like a parody of a harlequin than an actual romantic happy ending.

Bottom line: If you like the genre, you'll probably enjoy this book. It has all the ingredients and it's decent. And I'll give Kenyon this - the girl can sure write a steamy sex scene. I just didn't feel like it was quite all it was cracked up to be.