DirtyH

Nichole - Dirty H if you're nasty

I like to read about boys who like other boys. I don't like angst. I don't like high fructose corn syrup.

Brainy and the Beast
J.M. Cartwright
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West - Gregory Maguire I thought the premise of this book was awesome, and after all the hype of the play, I thought the book would be great. So I bought this book and I started reading it. And at first I thought, well this is kind of heavy reading, but it's interesting. And I kept reading, and I kept reading, and it just got worse and worse.
I kept thinking to myself, "Wow, I must be really stupid because I just don't get this book." And then I came on to goodreads and read other people's reviews, and then I said "Oh, good. I'm not the only one." I especially agree with the person who said it's more like reading a poli sci textbook on Oz than a sci-fi novel. This book is dry and heavy. There are interesting parts, and a few interesting characters, but it's a chore. In fact, I still haven't finished it. I'm close, but it's tough.
The political commentary is good, but I prefer my political commentary mixed with an engaging story and sympathetic characters. The whole point is to show that there is another side to the wicked witch, that's she's misunderstood and maybe she's not "wicked" at all. But I still didn't like her!
So maybe I just don't get it, but at least I'm not alone.